So, I guess it is December. This is difficult to remember when each day is hitting blue skies and the mid 80's. Regardless, I have not been great about keeping this updated. Life has been basically working at the school during the week (a blend of classroom, powerpoint presentations, random projects, and youtube). These are all fairly strenuous ventures (especially the last one), and I am thoroughly immersed in them on a very regular basis.
A few recent highlights: I went to Pichilemu and surfed for the first time! This is one of the sites for the world surf tour, and a great place to give it a shot for the first time. Laura, Aislinn, Jordan, and I took a bus out for the weekend. I really like surfing, but I was, umm...terrible. So sore. Still. But I loved it. I am very excited to go again sometime soon. We had a great day at the beach, caught some rays, ate some great manwiches, and played some hardcore paddle ball.

That night we watched some intense surfers and stayed to watch the sunset over the ocean with a large bottle of wine. Great conversations and great views.
The next weekend we had a ChACE retreat. They cooked an amazing Thanksgiving dinner for us. It was really weird a) working on Thanksgiving b) celebrating a Thanksgiving dinner outside at 8 pm when it is still light and I am sunburned, and c) explaining Thanksgiving to Chileans that flat out didn't get it. Here is how the conversation went (10-15 times)
Me: Basically, it is a really important family holiday where we celebrate and give thanks.
Chilean: Why?
Me: Well, it is based on an interaction that the Pilgrims had in 1620 when through some cooperation with the Native Americans, they were able to survive.
Chilean: I thought the European colonists killed most of the Native Americans.
Me: Well, yeah, sort of.
Chilean: So how is that a reason to give thanks.
Me: Hmm. Well, the origin gets fuzzier, but basically Thanksgiving = the three f's: food, family, and football.
We got to take Friday off and we went to Zapallar for a more formal retreat. Gorgeous houses. Incredible views. The pictures speak louder and more eloquently than my words possibly could.

This is the beautiful view from our very generous hosts, the DelRios. That is the Pacific Ocean, lo has oido?

This is a picture from the incredible path that winds along the ocean. Most beautiful walk I have ever been on. Period. This solitary tree makes me happy.

This is a picture from the whole retreat crew. Notice the mean mugs? Yeah, we are still rocking them pretty tough.
Up next is the conclusion of the school year, a visit from the folks for Christmas, and then sweet travel adventures this summer.
Life is beautiful. It has been too long since I have heard from too many of you. Fill me in on life when you get the chance. Also, if there is any chance I can convince you to come visit, let me know, and I will shamelessly hound you...err, I mean try to convince you.
Besitos.
No comments:
Post a Comment